Widelka Information
Home Ancestor ChartsAncestor ListContacts • Widelka Info

Widelka - in the County of Kolbuszowa

The first historical mention of Widelka comes in the 17th Century. At that time the village of Widelka was part of the parish of Przewrotne in the diocese of Krakow. It belonged to the diocese of Krakow until 13 May 1785, and was then transferred to Tarnow when Pope Pius VI formed that new diocese. On 2 December 1786, the parish was again transferred. This time to the diocese of Przemysl to which it belongs at the present

After World War I, the citizens of Widelka began thinking of creating a new parish to honor the Blessed Mother in thanksgiving for giving back them their country. Because of Przewrotne’s remoteness and the road difficult to travel, the Bishop gave Widelka permission to create a new parish, Mary Queen of Poland, on 2 August 1920. A church was built and consecrated on 14 September 1935.

The following is from the Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, Warsaw 1893:

A village in a sandy plain covered with pine forests, at the springs of the Zyzoga, a tributary of the river lęg. Through the village is a road from Glogow (8.5 Km) to Ranizow. To the community belong the subdivisions Dworzysko, Majdan, and Zembraza. It borders on the north with Sudoly and Klapowka, on the east with Przewrotne, on the south with Porebt, and on the west with Kupno. The whole community with the areas of the larger estates has 398 homes and 2617 inhabitants, 2123 Roman Catholics, 7 Protestants, and 487 Jews. A public school. A Roman Catholic parish in Przewrotne. Formerly a possession of Count Rey, it now belongs to several Jews. The smaller estate has 320 acres of farms, 39 acres of meadows, 5 acres of gardens, 115 acres of pastures, 57 acres of forests, and 3 acres 8628 feet long of building lots; the larger estate has 4236 acres of farms, 938 acres of meadows and gardens, 50 acres of pastures, and 688 acres of forests. On the grounds of the larger estate is a distillery. The settlement was established in the 17th century; it is mentioned in the recruiting lists of 1674 (Pawinski, Malopolska, 57a).

An additional note from family verbal history: Count Rey lost the village to the Jews in a card game.

Bar

For Comments & Inquiries: joan@smyrski.us

Copyright © 2008— Joan Smyrski Schmidt— All Rights Reserved

Last Updated on October 16, 2011